Project Management Fundamentals Training Melbourne
Projects are essentially about managing change – and because change is an increasingly significant fact of business life – project management is an essential key skill in today’s working environment. Many people are involved in project work, either directly or in a supporting role and yet they have never received formal training in the basic techniques that can make the difference between a successful project and an expensive failure.
Like all our project management short courses in Melbourne and elsewhere, this introductory course will provide participants with an overview of the principles, skills and techniques required for effective project management and introduce participants to a rigorous and systematic approach to managing projects whether they are simple or complex and show them how to apply these concepts to professional and personal projects of all sizes.
Our Melbourne project management fundamentals training course is delivered over two consecutive days.
The facilitator of this workshop will combine introductory theory and case study work for those new to project work or team members who require an understanding of the fundamental approach to project management. For a more substantial project management course, we also offer the Melbourne project management essentials course which runs for four days.
This section is particularly suitable for those involved in low-value, low-risk projects or multiple, independent projects. The content covers the four phases of project management – initiation, development, implementation and finalisation – with a focus on the early planning stages of project management.
This approach provides participants with a “hands-on”, multi-faceted and challenging learning experience. Training is provided through hands-on learning, relevant exercises and the provision of a participant handbook.
- Identify and discuss the nature of projects
- Understand the nine functions of project management
- Clarify the phases in the project life cycle
- Justify the project business case
- Write scope statements/definitions
- Identify project stakeholders
- Develop a cohesive project team and identify responsibilities
- Discuss what constitutes a project plan
- Build a work breakdown structure
- Define activities, estimate task durations and resources
- Assign responsibilities to tasks
- Understand project scheduling, including network diagrams, critical path analysis and Gantt Charts
- Conduct risk assessments and contingency planning
- Undertake plan management, including monitoring, control, reporting and communicating progress
- Bring the project to a successful conclusion.
Who should attend?
- Anyone aspiring to work as a project manager
- Members of project teams who wish to broaden their understanding of project management frameworks and disciplines
- Project managers wishing to revisit fundamental principles.
The facilitator of this workshop will combine introductory theory and case study work for those new to project work or team members who require an understanding of the fundamental approach to project management.
This approach provides participants with a “hands-on”, multi-faceted and challenging learning experience. Training is provided through hands-on learning, relevant exercises and the provision of a participant handbook. It is recommended that trainees attending this course use a new or live company project on the second day therefore capitalising on the training and developing a project scoping document for use in the workplace once the training is complete.
Our customers provide the venue, equipment (data projector, whiteboard, flip chart and easel) and choice of catering. Project Advantage provides the instructor, a notebook computer for course presentation, course materials (workbooks, CDs, handout materials for activities) and certificates of achievement.
- Minimum four participants on site – $860 per person per course
- Six-Ten participants onsite – $2850 per day, per group
- One-on-one on-site – $1200 plus travel expenses
- Online sessions. 8 x 2 hour sessions over two days – $860 per person per course
When you are looking to increase your skills in and knowledge and understanding of project management in the workplace, Project Advantage offers a number of courses to allow you to do this. From our Melbourne project management essentials course to the in-depth integrated Melbourne project management course which runs over a five-day period, we give you the information and understanding to improve your project management skills.